18 Jul College T Shirts, Hats and Sweatshirts OH MY!
As you head out on your college visits this summer and fall, don’t forget the extra suitcase for the college logo wear (college tee shirts, hats etc.) that you will most likely be bringing back home.
We certainly have a collection from the numerous schools that both my daughter and son have visited! In fact, my son has made it a tradition to purchase at least one item from each school where he takes a campus tour – and we’re not done yet!
We have established a few parameters around buying these items that helps to keep the process in check – I thought I would share them with you:
- Set a budget before you leave
- To avoid sticker shock when you arrive, take a look at the campus store website before you visit, to get an idea of the pricing of certain items
- Decide ahead of time what type of logo wear or other mementos you will or won’t buy
Janice and I were having dinner with a friend and her son a few weeks ago — he has been accepted and will be starting at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall. She mentioned that he no longer wants to wear the sweatshirts, t-shirts and hats from the many colleges and universities that he visited before he applied and made his final decision.
Some great suggestions
We all came to the conclusion that there are probably many students out there that feel the same way. What can be done with all of these items? We had a fun discussion and came up with a few ideas:
- Rather than have them sit in a drawer or closet, suggest to your teen that he or she find a charity to which they might donate the items
- Post the items on eBay or craigslist and sell them – my guess is that there are plenty of college students who would love to purchase logo wear for their colleges or universities at a discounted cost
- Give to younger sibling or neighbor
What has been your experience with college logo wear or other college logo items? Do you have any other ideas about recycling these items?
Let us know – we’d love to get your feedback.